Badges setup on moodle not showing on Oppia

Hi @alex

We are having issues with badges on the CHA Oppia app. We have set up badges on Moodle: one for course completion and one for completing an activity. But, when we test it out on our course draft, none of the badges show despite meeting the required criteria… Any ideas on why that’s happening? Thanks!

Hi @whedidar

The gamification system (points/badges etc) in Oppia, is completely independent from anything that Moodle uses. So any badges/points etc that are set up in Moodle, won;t get reflected in Oppia.

Oppia just uses Moodle for the basic course authoring, and so there’s only a small set of functionality in Moodle that is directly replicated in Oppia.

Hope that explains the issue you encountered?

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks @alex How would you recommend we go about getting support to add badges for completion of each of our courses? Can we do something on the Oppia end?

Hi @whedidar,

By default Oppia awards a badge when a user completes a course, so there’s nothing specific that needs to be set up for this. There’s some extra info in the docs about how the points and badges work in Oppia: https://oppiamobile.readthedocs.io/en/latest/implementers/gamification/index.html

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks @alex! We have tried to complete the course on Oppia and the course tracker shows that all the activities were complete, but there is still no badge awarded for course completion. I am reading through the link you shared–maybe this has to do with the cron task function? I am not sure…

Hi @whedidar, I’m not sure right now… please would you send me some extra info so I can figure out what’s going on here:

• link to the course in Moodle
  • your username in Oppia
  • the Oppia server the course is published to and that you’re connecting to with the app

Cheers,
Alex

Hi @whedidar,

Thanks for sending through the PMs with the extra info about the course/user etc.

I just had a look again at what might be going on here with the badge not being awarded … and think I figured out whats going on. The reason is that badges are not awarded for draft or archived courses. The course you sent through is still in draft, so that would explain why the badge hasn’t been given, even though all the activities have been completed.

@ebennert and @Julie - I hope that explains things. If we need to update this so that badges are also awarded for draft/test courses, then we can make an update in the next sprint?

Cheers,
Alex

1 Like