Different score in moodle and Oppia

Hi @alex
Just uploaded a quiz, one of the question is a ‘Select all that apply’ type of question, and all the answers are correct (4 questions, 25% for each). So to pass this question you have to select all the options.
If I attempt this quiz on moodle (select all the options), I get it correct but on Oppia (select all options for this question), its marked incorrect.

Hi @hakimks please can you let me which server, course and quiz you’re getting this problem so I can have a look,
thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,
Its the Stagging server (https://staging.mesau.net). The course name is Health Worker Training on Moderna Vaccine. In case you need the moodle credentials, I can send them via email.

thanks @hakimks but please can you also let me know which specific question this is happening on. There are several in the module quiz that have multiple select, so I’m not sure which is the question where selecting all answers is the correct response

its question 7 - Which are the recommended standard practices for handling of Moderna vaccine vials during and after vaccination? (select all that apply)

1. Always store the vaccine vials in vaccine carriers at +2°C to +8°C during vaccination
  2. Record date and time of the first use (first puncture and withdrawal of the dose) on the vial label.
  3. Keep vials away from direct sunlight or heat
  4. Discard vial when there is not enough vaccine to obtain a complete dose of 0.5 mL.

Thanks @hakimks ,

I’ve figured out now where the problem is, but I’m not clear yet on how to fix this.

The problem is because the response option " Always store the vaccine vials in vaccine carriers at +2°C to +8°C during vaccination" is encoded in the quiz JSON as:

Always store the vaccine vials in vaccine carriers at +2\\u00b0C to +8\\u00b0C during vaccination

then when the question is marked, it’s comparing against:

Always store the vaccine vials in vaccine carriers at +2°C to +8°C during vaccination

So the marking is seeing the two strings as different, and so marking as incorrect.

I’ve added an issue in Jira for this: Log in with Atlassian account. But the only fix right now is to remove the ° sign from the question response - which I realise is not a great approach.
Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex,
Does this mean other questions which have the ° sign or other subscript or superscript characters might be be experiencing this issue?

almost certainly, yes

Hi Alex
Another similar question is passing correctly, q2 -

What is the recommended storage temperature for thawed Moderna vaccine at the vaccination site? (Select one) the correct choice is -2

1. -25 to -15 °C
  2. +2 to +8 °C
  3. -60°C to -90 °C
  4. -25°C to +25°C

Is it because its “select one” type of question?
I have removed the ° sign and replaced it with words but q7 is still failing.

Thanks @hakimks that’s helpful to know.
With this I then realised that the checking of correct/incorrect answers is done slightly differently in the multichoice (single response) vs multiselect (multiple responses).

The multichoice just uses the index of the selected answer (not the actual text), whereas the multiselect looks at the text of the response to compare to the correct answer. This is why it’s working with multichoice but not multiselect.
We should change the multiselect so it works in similar way to the multichoice, so I’ve put this in as a fix for the Nov sprint.
Cheers,
Alex

Also having a look now at why the updated question ifs failing

Hi @hakimks I just had a look as it seem in the first response option (“Always store the vaccine vials in vaccine carriers at +2 degrees Celsius to +8 degrees Celsius during vaccination” there are a couple of " " in the html.

Likely this is the same problem as the degree symbol, so the marking doesn’t match a " " as an actual " " (space) character.

If you can remove these and test again and let me know if it’s working or not.
Cheers,
Alex

After removing the " ", its now working, thanks.

1 Like