Introduce yourself!

If you have just signed up to the OppiaMobile community site then please send us a quick reply to introduce yourself, where you work, your interest in OppiaMobile or anything else!

1 Like

To get us started, I’m Alex, the founding developer of Oppia, but now mainly just do the technical management, I also manage this forum/community, so please let me know if you have any feedback, either directly to me, or in the community feedback section at: https://community.oppia-mobile.org/c/community-feedback

I am Faraz Ahmed and work as Android developer and also participate in open source code and apart from that I do manage Android application for Sehat ghar which is forked version of Oppia Mobile.

1 Like

Great - thanks @farazahmed :smile:

I’m Kawesi Hakim, I work on the Open Deliver Project Uganda, both the server and mobile oppia applications.

1 Like

Thanks @hakimks ! and also for making the pull request for https://github.com/DigitalCampus/oppia-mobile-android/issues/824

1 Like

Hey everyone, I’m Nick, and I lead Last Mile Health’s Digital Health Department. I’ve been working with Alex to do modifications to Oppia Mobile since late 2017. We’ve supported the government of Liberia to deploy Oppia Mobile to around 4,000 community health workers in rural Liberia.

While using learning technologies in offline and remote geographies has been challenging, we’ve received incredibly positive feedback around the utility of this app for their work. Check out our work here: lastmilehealth.org

I’m looking forward to this community growing and becoming a resource for developers, non-profits, and governments!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I just joined Nick and the team at Last Mile Health as Software Project Manager.

I’m looking forward to working together on improving Oppia Mobile and making learning materials accessible to users in challenging environments.

Best,
Manuel

2 Likes

Hi Manuel!
Great - once you’ve got a bit settled in at LMH (and I’m back from holiday), lets arrange a skype call,
Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Mindy, and I am a member of the HackMIT 2020 organizing team! Our hackathon takes place on September 18-20 and we are expecting to welcome 1500+ hackers from around the world!

I found out about OppiaMobile and the health NGO community through a conversation with Francesca from Medic Mobile, and I’m excited to connect with everyone!

We’re currently looking to partner with health tech nonprofits for our health tech track to help our hackers in project ideation, mentorship, and judging. If anyone here is interested (individuals and/or organizations), please sign up here!

Organizations will also have the opportunity to be represented on our virtual platform this year and display questions/problems that hackers can tackle. In addition, we are planning a team formation/virtual ideation event for hackers at the start of the hackathon, and we would love if health tech NGOs could participate.

Feel free to ask me any questions on this forum or by sending an email to volunteer@hackmit.org!

All the best,
Mindy

3 Likes

Great, thanks for sharing this Mindy!

I’m very happy to participate, so will get signed up!
Cheers,
Alex

Hi @alex & the rest of the community members.

Ronald here, reconnecting after years of initial contact. I am based in Harare, Zimbabwe, Africa. I had a look at OppiaMobile years back when we were looking at an application to support Community Health Training as part of a mental Health Randomised controlled trial. Unfortunately, then we did not use OppiaMobile.

I am the lead volunteer for the Community Health Toolkit implementation that we are rolling out in rural Mutoko, I believe we make use of OppiaMobile in the future.

1 Like

Hi @munjoma, great to get reconnected again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey everyone, my name is Sam and I’m with the non-profit MGY. One of the main things we do is administer training programs for Community Health Workers in underserved areas. We have been working on an app very similar to oppia-mobile. I’ve just been poking around a little, checking out the android app, reading docs, etc. Oppia-mobile looks very cool! I’m interested in exploring whether we can use anything you’ve developed or whether there are any opportunities for collaboration between our organizations more generally.

1 Like

Hi @samwagg , thanks for your message and your interest in Oppia!

For your questions, all the full code for Oppia, including the app, server and moodle block is open source (under a GPL license), so is free for anyone to use. It would be great to have a call with you to follow up on opportunities for collaboration - feel free to email me at: alex@digital-campus.org so we can fix up a suitable time.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers,
Alex

Hi all, I’m Steve, project manager at University Hospital of Basel, Switzerland, Division of Clinical Epidemiology. We are involved with several research projects in Lesotho, including ComBaCaL where we are developing a Community Health Toolkit mobile app that supports village health workers to identify and manage non-communicable diseases like diabetes and hypertension. We used Oppia for our pilot training and will be integrating our content with CHT in the coming months. Looking forward to being part of the community!

1 Like