Supervisors/Managers - what do they need for monitoring?

Hi all,

For supervisors/managers who may not have laptop/computer and a reliable internet connection (and so they can’t access the Oppia server dashboard easily), what would be the 3 main pieces of information they would need to see in the app for each of the users they supervise/monitor?

Note that I’m trying to keep the amount of info that would need to be transferred and stored on the supervisor/manager’s phone down to a minimum as it could get to be a lot of information if they need detailed analytics to be displayed within the Oppia app.

Thanks,
Alex

My initial suggestions would be (broken down per day for the last month for each of their staff):

1. The number of points
  2. The number of activities
  3. The number of quizzes passed vs quizzes attempted

Hi @Alex ,

Do you have suggestions for the best way to set up supervisors who do have access to internet/the server? It looks like maybe setting up cohorts for each supervisor might make sense. Is it possible to view the progress of an individual within a cohort?

Really I’m looking for more of a high level set of instructions or guidelines for how to enable a supervisor to view course progress and quiz results for a set of learners - is there any existing documentations for that?

Thanks,
Julie

Hi @Julie , Yes I think cohorts would be best for this. For info a cohort is a combination of courses and students that a teachers/supervisor can view on the dashboard. So the teacher/supervisor only sees the activity for the users in the specific set of courses.

At the moment the only docs we have about this are in the link that you already gave. Maybe we could add something extra for this in the docs as part of the June sprint?

Cheers,
Alex

Hi @Alex ,

Is there a way for an admin to see whether a supervisor has logged into the server to view the activity of their cohorts?

Thanks,
Julie

Hi @julie,
In the django admin part there is a table with the “dashboard access logs” - This covers most of the main pages (with who accessed which page and when, plus any extra data such as date ranges specified).

This doesn’t yet fully covers/records all the cohort pages, but should be straightforward to add these.

If we get these added, then assume that this will likely to be sufficient for whats needed at the moment?

Cheers,
Alex

I think so! Let me double check with the MERL team but what you’ve described sounds right to me. Basically we’re trying to supervise the supervisors and confirm they’re monitoring their cohorts.

I added an issue in Jira for this (see: https://oppia.atlassian.net/browse/OPPIA-719) so feel free to add any extra info/requirements there