Using course content developed by others?

Hi, I looked around for this topic, perhaps someone can direct me to it if it is already here…
Is it possible to use (with permission and attribution, of course) another group’s existing course content? I see some great content in other courses but it not clear if there is a way to download/copy and import.
All the best
Steve

Hi Steve,
Which content are you referring to? If you mean the courses in the OppiaMobile Moodle site, the ones created by Digital Campus are released under a Creative Commons license, and include media content which is also released under an open license. In the “About/License” page of each course you can see the specific licenses and attributions you need to follow to reuse the contents.

For courses of external actors, in the OppiaMobile or other Moodle sites, I would say that asking them directly for permission is the best approach. If the content doesn’t use any specific authoring tool different from Moodle, they should be compatible with the OppiaMobile app.

If you directly want to export this courses to another OppiaMobile instance, you can do that directly, applying any of the custom themes included. To import them and edit them in an external Moodle site, there are Moodle course backups for each course. @alex , I include you in the conversation because I don’t remember exactly whether those are publicly available or are sent by request.

Hi Joseba, thanks for the response. I was referring to any of the courses I see under Oppia Conent Course categories on the dashboard such as “HEWs Programme - Level 3 - Ethiopia.”

Yes, the question had also to do with the “how” part of it…where do I find the Moodle course backups and what method is used to import them?

Hi @Steve
Apologies for long delay getting back to you on this.
We have the HEW level 4 content as Moodle backup files here: Index of /wp-content/uploads/content/hew-level4
But realise you’re asking about the Level 3 content, so I’ll get those exported from Moodle and put up in another folder and let you know.
Cheers,
Alex

Hi,
I put up Moodle backup versions of the Level 3 content here. Index of /wp-content/uploads/content/hew-level3

Some of the files are quite big, because of the video content that’s included, when exported to Oppia the courses are much smaller (likely the Moodle backups include a lot of info that’s not necessary for Oppia).

Also these backups are from Moodle v4, so likley best to restore back onto a Moodle 4 instance (though it might work, with warnings on slightly earlier versions).

There’s info here on how to restore courses in Moodle: Course restore - MoodleDocs - navigating to the option to restore varies a little between v3 and v4, although the process is basically the same.
Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex,
I am not able to view a course administration tab with my account and I do not think there is another admin account for us. As well, how does one see which Moodle version is running?
Best
Steve

Hi @Steve
It sounds like you might need to be in touch with whoever manages the admin on Moodle server you’re trying to install on. The Moodle version will be shown on the site admin pages (and might be displayed at the bottom of each Moodle page, but this is settings and theme dependent, so might not be there you for).
For restoring courses you’d likely need to ask for you permissions to be updated anyway if you can’t access the course admin tab.
Another option, if you’re just having a look and testing for yourself, could be to look at trying one of the local install packages for Moodle to run on your computer (see: Complete install packages for Windows - MoodleDocs), they should be straightforward to set up, though only recommended for testing.
Cheers,
Alex

Hi Alex, perhaps now getting a bit off topic… I think that you/Oppia are the admin for our Moodle instance? …or perhaps I do not fully understand the admin and instance relationship here. Happy to take the discussion off of this forum if needed. Thanks!

Ah yes, of course. So you should already have access to be able to restore a course into the course category we got set up. but let me know if not.
Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex, pretty sure we do not have admin access as there is no “Site administraition” tab in our view. Best, Steve

Hi @Steve ,
Since you’re using our Moodle server you shouldn’t need the site admin pages… for restoring the courses, from the combacal category (OppiaContent: All courses), under “more” in the menu, you should see “restore course” so from here you can upload and restore courses into your ComBaCal area.
Hope that helps, but let me know if you’re still stuck with this!
Cheers,
Alex