Would multiple baseline quizzes ever need to be supported?

Hi all,
Currently the Oppia app only supports having a single baseline/pre-test quiz. Although you can add extra text/information pages into the ‘topic 0’ in Moodle, these just get displayed as perhaps about or licensing info about the course.

Would there ever be a need to have either 2 pre-test/baseline quizzes, or perhaps just multiple activities (of any type) that must be completed before the user can access the course.

My personal feeling is that it’s very unlikely there would be circumstances where this would be required, and, even if there was, there could be other ways to achieve the same end result (for example by using the course sequencing).

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Alex, I had similar feelings on this thread when you posed this questions. But we’re designing a COVID course and a scenario has come up where our M&E team is looking to conduct pre- and post-test at the topic (and even activity-level). That is, they would prefer for content within a topic to be unseeable to the user until the pre-test for said topic has been completed.

@alex

Hi @NickGordon,
One way this could be implemented (without any tech dev), would be to use the “sequencing within a section/topic” option when exporting from Moodle.

So then if you had 3 topics in a course, with a pre-test for each, then the user must complete the pre-test before being able to access the rest of the section/topic content.

The downside with how this is done right now is that then the user would also then need to complete all the activities in the section/topic in order. So they couldn’t do the pre-test and then jump to say activity 4, they’d need to complete activities 1, 2 and 3 first. But maybe that’s ok? depends a little on what you need I guess. However it might cover the option you mention where someone must complete a pre-test before being able to access an activity?

It’s been a while I think since anyone has tried to use this feature of section/topic level sequencing, so might need some checking/testing first to make sure it all works as expected. But I’m sure there will be ways to achieve what the M&E team are looking for.

Cheers,
Alex

Cheers Alex! Thanks for the quick response. Great to know this is possible - in this specific case, I’m not sure if sequencing is an issue. But I’ll bring this back to my team and start testing what’s possible in Moodle/Oppia.