WYSIWYG Moodle Atto filter: Embed Question

How hard is it to get the Atto filter embed question: Moodle plugins directory: Embed question atto button
to be added and will it behave in the app?

Additionally if I knew of an interactive video tool - like playposit - that can work offline, is that a possible addition to the Oppia bag of tricks?

Hi Liz,

We’ve tended to try to keep to supporting features/functionality that are natively/default supported in Moodle, rather than features that are only available as an additional plugin.

However, it is possible to implement features in Oppia that are only available via additional Moodle plugins.

The key questions around this specific Atto filter will be around whether or not the users response needs to be recorded by Oppia.

In the adaptation for the Ethiopia HEW level 4 content, we embedded questions in page views, although these were limited to showing the question, then an option to reveal the answer. It should be possible to allow users to select possible answers and then show if they are correct or not.

But I guess it mainly comes back to whether or not the users response needs to be recorded/measured by the Oppia server or not, and how this might affect the course completion criteria. If it’s simply for checking user understanding (and doesn’t need to be recorded, nor used as a basis for their course completion), then that would be much easier to implement.

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Alex

Ideally, they would be used as knowledge checks that do not count against them. What you just described for the HEW level 4 content is EXACTLY what I was hoping to use for the RMNCH content for the HEW refresher we are working on for Ethiopia.

Hi Liz…

Actually you can already use the same feature that we have in the HEW level 4 content…

In the page content (you’ll need to go into the HTML view)… you can add (eg):

<div class="box question">
    <p>What proportion of the worldwide number of maternal deaths occurs in Africa?</p>
    <div name="reveal" id="91" class="reveal">Show answer</div>
    <div id="answer91">
        <p>African women account for almost half of the 536,000 women who die every year as a consequence of complications of pregnancy or childbirth.</p>
    </div>
</div>

In the app this will initially display as:

Then like this when the users presses to “show answer”:

This functionality is actually connected to the “course design” selection when exporting from the Moodle server, so it automatically adds the right CSS/Javascript/Images.

If there are different styles/colours/images you’d prefer to use, then it should be straightforward to add a new “course design”.

There are also other styles, so instead of style=“box question” you could also use definition/warning/info - these use different images, but don’t do the show/hide part.

None of the information, or whether the users clicked to show answer is recorded by the app or server

Cheers,
Alex

Thank you for this information. So sorry I missed your response. I am really liking this option for some activities. This could be a good way to do an interim step if we do not want to get into open response. Do you think you could send me info on how to set up the other styles and how to build the different options?

Additionally,
IS it possible to do an open response, if we do not care to gather the responses but that no matter what they submit, an auto feedback/description appears?

Hi @ebennert

For adding new/different inline styles, it does need a bit of knowledge of CSS and javascript (jQuery), although it’s not so complex.
Maybe the best thing here would be if you can give us some info on the type of styles/options you might like (perhaps even just as hand drawn images!), and we can put this in for you to test out.

For your additional question, yes, it should be possible to allow users to enter some text (or a response of some type) and give them an auto feedback (eg “Thanks for your response!”)

cheers,
Alex

Hi @ebennert
For you query “Are there limits to the auto-response type and size?”, there aren;t really limits on this, but it will be easier for me to know once I have better idea of what you’d like here. I guess the main thing to bear in mind is if users have small screens, then the auto response shouldn;t be too long/big
Cheers,
Alex

Hi Alex

I know it has been a while since I discussed this. You had mentioned that it would be possible with this click to reveal to also have a space for learner to input an answer and then click to reveal the feedback. Could you help me with what the code would be for this?

Here is a sample

Question: What resources or strategies might help you determine program costs?

SPACE FOR LEARNERS TO TYPE ANSWER

Click to reveal feedback:

Considerations:

• Data and documentation from the MoH and NGO partners, including written policies, guidelines, and recent reports (particularly from NGOs currently running programs), will help to develop a situational analysis.
  • An expert panel will also support in confirming the standard treatment guidelines for the services in the proposed package, current disease incidence rates, and expected numbers of services. This panel can help to develop initial cost estimates.
  • There may also be a need to collect a sample of data because the available data is not accurate on a national level. This sample should then be validated in consultation with the expert panel and the MoH to determine realistic estimates.

Hi @ebennert ( + @ldewit )

The method for doing this right now (without any update to the Moodle Oppia block) would be to go into the HTML and add some specific javascript (using JQuery) similar to the javascript that’s currently included in every course for the question/reveal - see: https://github.com/DigitalCampus/moodle-block_oppia_mobile_export/blob/master/js/oppia.js

It would need an html input field adding to the HTML, and the function adjusted to (eg) only reveal the answer once the user has entered something.

Of course the downside with this approach is that it needs knowledge of jquery/javascript. Additionally, the code would need to be replicated in every activity that this type of question would be needed.

A more appropriate approach would be to include this function/option directly in the overall javascript that gets included with every course. This would then make it simpler to add to any activity (would basically be the same approach as just the plain question/reveal that we have now).

Is there particular content you need to add this to now? If so, then I use some support time to write up the specific js code you’d need, then we can add this into the overall javascript in a future sprint. If not, then we can schedule it for a future sprint. FYI, I’ve put up a task on Jira for this, see: Log in with Atlassian account

Anyway, just let me know,
Cheers,
Alex

Hi all, similar but different question so I hope it is ok to post here. I would be interested in the Word import plugin from Atto as we develop our training content in Word and this would standardize and simplify our editing and import process. Is it possible to get this as an add-on? Alex, I see above, and appreciate, your comment on “supporting features/functionality that are natively/default supported in Moodle, rather than features that are only available as an additional plugin.”

Looking forward to your feedback!
Steve

Hi @Steve

For the Word import plugin, this should be fine to add to Moodle, since it’s only a tool to import word docs into Moodle pages/textareas. So doesn’t add extra (learner visible) activity types/features in the same way other plugins might do (eg adding new activity types, question types etc), which where we had concerns about adding these, then needing to also support these activities/options etc in the Oppia app.

I can add to the plugin to the Digital Campus Moodle site, and will let you know when I’ve got that done, unless you prefer to use your own Moodle instance for developing/managing your content?
Cheers,
Alex

Hi @alex
Thanks for the quick response. I am still a bit of a newbie. I edit content at https://content.oppia-mobile.org/… is that the same as the Digital Campus Moodle site? I am pretty sure we don’t have our own Moodle instance. But yes, installing it would be great.
Thanks!
Steve

hi @Steve ,yes, the content.oppia-mobile.org Moodle is the Digital Campus site

Hi @Steve I’ve got the atto word import plugin added on the site now, so you should see the new button in the text editor for directly importing word files
Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex, I will give it a try shortly!